Colton Herta’s hopes of returning to in the middle of his bid to reach took a hit with a calendar clash Thursday after Formula 2 races were rescheduled.
The 25-year-old IndyCar star 鈥 who became the series’ at the age of 18 in 2019 鈥 made the move to F2 this season with an eye on the super license points needed to race in F1 with Cadillac as its first American driver.
F2 has scheduled two extra rounds of its championship alongside F1’s Miami Grand Prix and the Canadian Grand Prix, both next month. The race in Montreal with the Indianapolis 500 on May 24. The original schedule didn’t have any F2 races in May at all.
They replace rounds in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia which were along with the F1 races there because of the .
Herta had been in contention for a fourth car at the Indianapolis 500 from Andretti Global, which shares an ownership group with the Cadillac F1 team in Dan Towriss and the TWG Motorsports conglomeration.
鈥淲e鈥檙e planning on a fourth car. But there are no shortage of people, and not just from IndyCar,鈥 Towriss said in February at the IndyCar season opener in St. Petersburg, Florida.
But now that Herta is not available, Andretti Global said Thursday it will focus on its current three-driver lineup for the Indy 500 and not enter a fourth car. The team fields cars for previous Indy 500 winners Will Power and Marcus Ericsson, as well as Kyle Kirkwood.
Herta is 10th in the F2 standings following the opening round in Australia last month.
鈥淚 think it鈥檚 great if it gets me to Formula 1 and I would be incredibly grateful I took the leap,” Herta told The Associated Press in January of his F2 move. “I think a lot of people feel it would be embarrassing if I fail, but I don鈥檛 care what everybody thinks or if its going to tarnish my career.鈥
___
AP auto racing:
Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.