海角社区app

Penalized teams say rules violations not intended to give their drivers an edge for Indy qualifying

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) 鈥 Dennis Reinbold and Larry Foyt, the key decision-makers for the drivers penalized by IndyCar for violating league rules during Indianapolis 500 qualifying, issued statements Monday saying the teams did not intend to give Jack Harvey or Caio Collet a competitive advantage.

Harvey and Collet each had their qualifying attempts disallowed and will now start next weekend’s from the final two spots on the 33-car grid.

Defending race winner and will try to become the seventh driver with back-to-back 500 victories.

鈥淚 don鈥檛 want to say that we bounced back from yesterday with all of the usual stuff we had on Sunday,鈥 Harvey said after posting the seventh-fastest lap, 224.287 mph, in Monday’s abbreviated practice session. 鈥淚t is what it is. No crying about it. The important thing is how we respond. That determines what we can achieve on race day.鈥

The scheduled two-hour practice was cut short, first, by and later by rain. Four cars were damaged in the first crash this month on Indianapolis Motor Speedway鈥檚 2.5-mile oval, with three of those among the top eight starting spots in the 33-car field. Rossi was awake and alert but was taken to a hospital for further evaluation.

It’s the second straight year Indianapolis has been rocked by a cheating scandal. Last year, then-two-time defending champ Josef Newgarden and 2018 race winner Will Power were sent to the back of the field after they were found to have an illegally modified spec part on their cars during 500 qualifications. Roger Penske then made leadership changes at Team Penske.

during a post-qualifying technical inspection. Series officials determined the two cars made unapproved changes to their energy management systems and used unapproved hardware in the mounting process. All teams are required to use the equipment in the exact manner they receive it.

鈥淒reyer & Reinbold Racing did not intend to achieve a performance gain through the use of unapproved hardware,鈥 Reinbold said. 鈥淭he integrity of the sport is of the highest priority and utmost importance to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, our sponsors, partners and personnel. We apologize to (primary sponsor) Invst, Jack Harvey, our valued sponsor partners and fully accept the penalties set forth by the IndyCar Series.鈥

Harvey and Conor Daly are driving for DRR in the one IndyCar race the team runs each year. Daly qualified eighth and was not found to have broken any rules.

Harvey usually works on the Fox Sports telecasts of IndyCar races, but is again taking a brief hiatus this month to compete in his ninth Indianapolis 500. The English driver鈥檚 best 500 result came in 2020 when he started 20th and finished ninth.

Larry Foyt, president of A.J. Foyt Enterprises, called the violation a 鈥渕istake.鈥

Collet was moved from the No. 10 starting spot to No. 32. He was the fastest rookie qualifier, with a four-lap qualifying average of 230.539 mph.

Foyt’s other full-time driver, Santino Ferrucci, and the team鈥檚 newest hire, who is running for HMD Motorsports with A.J. Foyt Racing, were not found to have violated the rules.

Ferrucci qualified fifth while Legge completed the first part of her quest to become the first woman to attempt racing’s 鈥渄ouble.鈥 She’ll start 26th, but must still qualify for next weekend’s Coca-Cola 600 next weekend to have a chance at completing the 1,100-mile marathon in the same day.

鈥淭here was a miscommunication issue which resulted in a technical infraction on the No. 4 car. It was a costly mistake on our part, and not intended for a performance gain,” Foyt said. “I feel terrible for Caio who put forth such a great effort in qualifying to become the fastest rookie. He is a talented young driver and I have no doubt he鈥檒l come through the field. This is a setback, but drivers and teams don鈥檛 make it to this level without facing challenges and overcoming them. I have full confidence in Caio and our team to do the same on race day.鈥

Collet also lost the three points he received for making Sunday鈥檚 12-car pole shootout. Those will be split between 2008 Indy winner Scott Dixon and Rinus Veekay.

Harvey and Collet also will lose their pit positions and will be the last teams to select their new pit locations.

Both drivers participated in Monday’s practice session and were expected to be back on the track Friday for the final practice before next weekend’s race.

___

AP auto racing:

Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Federal 海角社区app Network Logo
Log in to your 海角社区app account for notifications and alerts customized for you.