海角社区app

US says ‘slight progress’ in Iran talks amid uncertainty about whether war will resume

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) 鈥 U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday there was 鈥渟light progress鈥 during talks with Iran amid uncertainty about whether a deal will be reached or .

He spoke days after U.S. President Donald Trump said he was on a military strike against the Islamic Republic because 鈥渟erious negotiations鈥 were underway. Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire reached in mid-April could end if Iran does not make a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement.

Rubio spoke ahead of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, where the military alliance is expected to discuss what role it could play in helping police the Strait of Hormuz once the war is over.

Rubio said he did not want to exaggerate the progress, saying there had been 鈥渁 little bit of movement and that’s good.鈥 He said the conversations were ongoing. In recent weeks there have been repeated claims of progress, but a deal has stayed out of reach.

Trump has for Tehran and then backed off. But he鈥檚 also previously indicated he would hold off on military action to allow talks to continue 鈥 only to turn around and launch strikes. That鈥檚 what happened at the war鈥檚 outset, when he ordered strikes in late February shortly after indicating he would let talks play out.

He said he called off attacks on Iran this week at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, who have been targeted by Iran and its allied militias.

But Trump’s decision to give the talks a chance sparked tension with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

An official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media said Thursday that Trump and Netanyahu had a 鈥渄ramatic鈥 phone conversation Tuesday about the status of the Iranian negotiations and that Israel is angry with Trump鈥檚 efforts to strike a deal with Iran.

Trump later told reporters that Netanyahu 鈥渨ill do whatever I want him to do.鈥

The comments are some of the first public signs of daylight between the leaders since they launched the war.

Pakistan continues ceasefire efforts

On Friday, Pakistan said its interior minister traveled to Tehran twice this week to meet Iranian leaders. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said the visits underscored Pakistan鈥檚 efforts to promote peace between Iran and the U.S.

He said Pakistan’s mediation efforts are expected to be discussed when Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif travels to China this weekend for a four-day visit.

Still, major sticking points remain.

Iran has effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for the shipment of oil, gas, fertilizer and other petroleum products. The U.S. is and has redirected 94 commercial vessels and disabled four others from mid-April through Thursday, U.S. Central Command said in a social media post.

Rubio blasted Tehran鈥檚 efforts to use its chokehold on the strait to 鈥渃reate a tolling system鈥 that forces ships to pay for passage.

鈥淚 don鈥檛 know of a country in the world that鈥檚 in favor of it except Iran,鈥 Rubio said, “but there鈥檚 no country in the world that should accept it.

The U.S. and Israel have said Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. While Iran was said to include some nuclear concessions, Trump has said he wants to remove highly enriched uranium from the country and prevent it from developing nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.

Officials say Saudi Arabia and the UAE separately struck Iran

Two regional officials and a Western diplomat told The Associated Press that Saudi Arabia and the UAE separately launched multiple attacks on Iran and Iranian-backed Shiite militias in Iraq during the war. An Israeli military officer with knowledge of the situation also confirmed that the UAE proactively struck Iran at least once.

All of them spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the information.

The regional officials said the strikes on Iran targeted military facilities, including missile and drone launchers.

One of the regional officials said the strikes by Saudi Arabia targeted hideouts of Iraqi militias, mainly Kataib Hezbollah, after Riyadh assessed that most of the drone attacks on Saudi Arabia came from neighboring Iraq. He said Saudi Arabia has repeatedly briefed Baghdad about the Iraqi-originated attacks before deciding to strike.

The Western diplomat and one of the regional officials said the UAE had pushed for a collective military response from the Gulf Arab countries since the onset of the war.

Asked for comment, the UAE referred to a May 16 statement by its foreign ministry that “all measures undertaken by the UAE have been within the framework of defensive actions aimed at protecting its sovereignty, civilians, and vital infrastructure.鈥 Saudi Arabia did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Iran has also not publicly addressed being targeted by the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

Following claims that attacks on Saudi Arabia and the UAE had been launched from Iraqi territory, the Iraqi prime minister also ordered an investigation. Iraq’s government did not respond to requests for comments.

___

Magdy reported from Cairo, Egypt. Associated Press writers Melanie Lidman in Tel Aviv, Israel; Munir Ahmed in Islamabad; Geir Moulson in Berlin; and Russ Bynum in Savannah, Georgia, contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Federal 海角社区app Network Logo
Log in to your 海角社区app account for notifications and alerts customized for you.